Garth P. Jones is the author of the creepy, gruesome and funny new book, Constable & Toop (you can read my review here). After finishing Constable & Toop I wanted to find out what else he had written and I discovered that we had his Dragon Detective Agency series and The Thornthwaite Inheritance sitting on our library shelves. I love his writing style and I now want to go and read all of his other books. Gareth very kindly answered my questions about his writing and his fantastic new book.
- What inspired you to write Constable and Toop?
- Are any of the ghosts in Constable and Toop based on real ghosts?
- In your story there are different types of ghosts, including Enforcers, Prowlers and Rogues. What sort of ghost would you be?
- The story is set in Victorian England and you really feel immersed in the period as you read. While researching and writing your story what was the most interesting thing that you learnt about this period?
- One of the things I like the most about Constable and Toop is the mix of the creepy and gruesome with the lighter moments and witty banter between your characters. Was this how you originally planned the story or did you set out to write a more traditional ghost story?
- What exciting stories can we look forward to from you?
Hm, I’m not sure I’m ready to tell anyone yet. It looks like it will have a Victorian setting again though – at least in part. And It will probably have elements of supernatural and humour – but not ghosts again. I’ll save ghosts for when I do a sequel to Constable & Toop… if I ever do that is.
Win a copy of Constable & Toop!
I have 2 copies of Constable & Toop to give away. To get in the draw just enter your name and email address in the form below. Competition closes Wednesday 21 November (NZ only).
Thanks to everyone who entered. This competition is now closed.